6 Weeks of Play - The Good, The Bad, and The Very Ugly

So my 6 weeks of play experiment is over.  Six weeks ago, I promised to spend the next weeks experimenting, playing, researching, planning, and generally enjoying my options.  I also promised not to make a New York Beauty quilt block (my favorites) during those 6 weeks.  Well . . . . .

Happy Winter!


Did anyone see Cheryl Arkison on The Quilt Show?  I've been playing with her quilt slab concept for the past couple of days, and they are just plain addictive and such an incredibly good way to use up scraps - of which I have a small mountain worth.  You can see Cheryl's work here:

A Finish, A Success, and a Disaster

The revisited Lemoine Star quilt top is finished, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  (Not a Y seam in there anywhere!) My apologies for the lousy picture, but its bigger than my design wall, and while I would normally take it outside to photograph, there's a snow storm happening out there right now, so not going there!  It will be for sale on Ebay in the new year.

Machine Quilting Practice

From my "things I did not expect to enjoy" experiences, machine quilting on my Juki is becoming a very pleasant surprise! 

Tweaking an 8 Point Star, and a Rainbow

I might just know where the pot of gold is! 

I was working on 8 Pointed or Lemoine Stars today.  I love this block, but I don't love setting in the side triangles.  So . . . .  with a bit of tweaking on EQ7, if you add an extra line or two, they can be paper pieced, with no side triangles, and the added benefit of a two color background.

Wool Applique, Housekeeping, and a Grocery Bag

One of the things I've discovered that I really like doing, is working with wool!  The birds are waiting for applique.  I want to try both machine and hand versions before I get started, though. 

Having lived here for over 6 months now, I'm pleased to say that my tool peg board is now in place . . . . Yay - no more lost tools - at least in theory.

And the Lobster . . . . .


- Maggie

Overdyed Orange

Remember those 4 pieces of golden orange a couple of posts ago?  I overdyed them, using Dark Red MX dyes, folding each piece in a different way, and here we have the results.  BUT, I'm not done with these 4 fabrics yet . . . . stay tuned. 

And now I'm off to visit friends and eat fresh lobster.  How great is that?????

- Maggie

Experiment #2, Practice #1, and a Finish

Good Morning!  It's 6:44 AM and I'm in the studio. The morning routine these days is to pull on a sweatshirt and jeans, take care of the animals, grab a coffee, and hit the studio.  On tap for today is the first of my fabric dyeing experiments, a sneak peek at my friend Janet's Christmas gift, that I finished up last night, and some machine quilting practise.

Experiment #1 - Bleaching

Experiment #1 - Bleaching. 

I took 3 pieces of Kona cotton solid black, and applied undiluted bleach applied in a squiggle with a syringe. These are the results after about 15 minutes.

 Sample # 1 was dry cotton, as it came off the bolt.

Sample # 2 was damp cotton

Syndicate content